PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Waste Based Society

Poll

Who is more Incoherent?

MKing
7 (77.8%)
RE
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

AuthorTopic: Waste Based Society  (Read 182967 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
The GREAT RENEWABLE ENERGY PROMISE OF 1978
« Reply #510 on: June 28, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
For those who labor under the view that the reversal of fortunes for Renewable Energy in the early 1980s was just ignorance, supply and demand and big oil wasn't INSTRUMENTAL in bringing it about.

Oh, and about NON-HYDRO renewable energy being THROTTLED shortly after the technology was proven competitive with fossil fuels. You mean you DIDN"T KNOW there was SIGNIFICANT PROMISING  RENEWABLE ENERGY NON-HYDRO COST COMPETITIVE TECHNOLOGY BEFORE 1980? ???

I understand that the media BURIED the FACT that IT HAPPENED TO WIND TURBINE TECHNOLOGY shortly after 1980 when Carter left office!
It was SHELVED -DEEP SIXED - LEFT TO DIE UNTIL RESURRECTED in the mid to late 1990s BUT NOT BY THE USA!

The GREATEST PENETRATION OF PURE HYDRO renewable energy in the USA was in 1940.
Over 1500 hydroelectric facilities produce about one third of the United States' electrical energy.

http://www.usbr.gov/power/edu/history.html

It was ALL DOWN HILL FOR HYDRO AS A PERCENTAGE of electrical energy generated FROM THEN ON.

The NEW CSP, wind turbine and, to a lesser but still important extent PV technologies, were being assiduously developed during the late 1970s.

Power companies closed ranks AGAINST that technology. Even places WITHOUT electricity like a Navajo Reservation in New Mexico triggered angry letters from the utility to NASA to STOP putting solar panels for water pumping there because it COULD "force electrical rates DOWN IN THE FUTURE".  NASA STOPPED but Carter kept pushing until 1980.          GET IT?

NO?

Check THIS out:

Westinghouse uprated version, the Mod-0A. Four Mod-0A protototypes were installed (Puerto Rico, New Mexico, Hawaii & Rhode Island).

When do you think the above pictures were taken, dear Diners? Would you believe THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO!!?

Wind Energy Comes of Age

By Paul Gipe

Pag 103

After the moon landings, the space program began winding down, and with it the space agency.

NASA was scrambling to redefine itself, to find new "missions," when opportunity struck in the form of the oil embargo.

What began as mere tinkering by researchers at the agency's Lewis research center near Sandusky, Ohio quickly evolved into the most costly wind energy R&D program in the world.

NASA began translating all known documents on wind energy worldwide.
They consulted with Hutter and Putnam and studied the operation of Juul's machine at Gedser. In the end they started down a path blazed years before by Putnam. The result, the Mod-0, resembled neither Hutter's lightweight, flexible, downwind design nor Juul's rigid thee bladed upwind design. NASA's Mod-0 incorproated none of the lessons of Europe, while abandoning Putnam's most significant design element, his hinged blades.

Westinghouse, the contractor on the Mod-0, was subsequently hired to build an uprated version, the Mod-0A, for extended field tests. Four Mod-0A prototypes were installed (Puerto Rico, New Mexico, Hawaii & Rhode Island).

All were scraped when none of the host utilities wanted to assume maintenance of the turbines.

http://www.worldbooksonline.info/Wind-Energy-Comes-of-Age-9780471109242

The book goes on to explain, in detail, how various R&D goals of a high MTBF "couldn't seem to be achieved" in order for these machines to be considered "reliable".  :evil4:

They could build rockets to the moon, supersonic aircraft, high speed jet turbines with micrometer tolerances but making gears, housings and transmissions for a glacially slow giant propeller to generate electricity was just "too hard".

If you believe that, I have time shares in a black hole at the core of the milky way to sell you cheap.

Call 1-8800-BIG OIL for your time share reservations. :LolLolLolLol:
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
IEA: Renewables Will Exceed Natural Gas And Nuclear By 2016
« Reply #511 on: June 28, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
IEA: Renewables Will Exceed Natural Gas And Nuclear By 2016

June 26, 2013 Silvio Marcacci

Natural gas is widely considered the bridge to take us from fossil fuel dependence to a clean energy future – but that bridge may be a lot shorter than anyone could have predicted.

Global renewable electricity production by region image via IEA

The International Energy Agency (IEA) predicts power generation from renewable sources will exceed natural gas and be twice the contribution from nuclear energy globally by 2016 – just three short years from now.

IEA’s second-annual Medium-Term Renewable Energy Market Report (MTRMR) forecasts renewable generation will grow 40% in the next five years despite difficult economic conditions.

Wind And Solar Power The Renewables Charge

Renewable energy is now the fastest-growing sector of the global power market, and will represent 25% of all energy generation worldwide by 2018, up from 20% in 2011. In addition, renewable electricity generation is expected to reach 6,850 terawatt-hours (TWh) and total installed renewable capacity should hit 2,350 gigawatts (GW), both by 2018.

Wind and solar photovoltaic generation is powering this jump, and non-hydro renewable power will double from 4% of gross generation in 2011 to 8% in 2018. IEA cites two main drivers for their incredible outlook: accelerating investment and deployment, and growing cost competitiveness versus fossil fuels.

Full Story with more graphs about the REAL WORLD of RENEWABLE ENERGY that Fossil Fuel Lakeys DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/26/iea-renewables-will-exceed-natural-gas-and-nuclear-by-2016/#tDmte8Dt2SiQZcxT.99
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Waste Based Society
« Reply #512 on: June 28, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
Mking,
Well, we are in agreement about going to renewables.

Since that is the case, I won't split hairs with you over whether there is or isn't anthropogenic (Sorry, I wrote anthropomorphic and really meant anthropogenic) global warming.

As to why we don't just DO IT already, that's easy. All any of us in internet land have is a tiny voice sans any power. All I can do is sharpen my push mower, shovel my snow and keep my carbon footprint as low as possible. WHD does it for gaia, I do it for Stewardship and you do it because it's a no-brainer.

There should be no conflict among us in this area.   :argue: ???

I harp on past crimes of Big Oil because their Modus operandi HAS NOT CHANGED and they still have an awful lot of money. I believe they are DETERMINED to keep renewables in the Niche energy area for as long as possible. I further believe they are pulling every dirty trick in the book to do it. I don't see an equivalence of morals free behavior from renewables as you seem to do. Sure, they want to make money but inherent in their business model is a cradle to grave technology recycling leaving little or no waste. Big Oil's "business model" is "externalized" waste. IOW, it's delusional, criminal and irresponsible.

So I will never see anything that DESTROYS the "competitiveness" of a poison belching technology that , when all costs are figured, was NEVER really competitive, as a morally neutral exercise of two forces just, doing what they do.

The fossil fuel industry is MENS REA from the word go.

Renewable Energy fits into a paradigm that goes way beyond profit and concerns itself with the preservation of ALL LIFE on this planet. That's a rather significant difference.

So what do you think of my post on 1970s wind generator research? Do you think Big Oil did not conspire to destroy that technology (that was PROVING TO BE COMPETITIVE EVEN THEN) BEFORE IT GOT OFF THE GROUND?

No, it's NOT just "water under the bridge" because MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT thanks to our corrupt media. As long as people don't know how much they have been screwed by big oil, they will continue to be suckered by fossil fuel propaganda.

Thank you for your comments. I will continue to carry on. :icon_sunny:

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #513 on: June 28, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
For those who labor under the view that the reversal of fortunes for Renewable Energy in the early 1980s was just ignorance, supply and demand and big oil wasn't INSTRUMENTAL in bringing it about.

Oh, and about NON-HYDRO renewable energy being THROTTLED shortly after the technology was proven competitive with fossil fuels. You mean you DIDN"T KNOW there was SIGNIFICANT PROMISING  RENEWABLE ENERGY NON-HYDRO COST COMPETITIVE TECHNOLOGY BEFORE 1980? ???

I understand that the media BURIED the FACT that IT HAPPENED TO WIND TURBINE TECHNOLOGY shortly after 1980 when Carter left office!
It was SHELVED -DEEP SIXED - LEFT TO DIE UNTIL RESURRECTED in the mid to late 1990s BUT NOT BY THE USA!

The GREATEST PENETRATION OF PURE HYDRO renewable energy in the USA was in 1940.
Over 1500 hydroelectric facilities produce about one third of the United States' electrical energy.

http://www.usbr.gov/power/edu/history.html

It was ALL DOWN HILL FOR HYDRO AS A PERCENTAGE of electrical energy generated FROM THEN ON.

The NEW CSP, wind turbine and, to a lesser but still important extent PV technologies, were being assiduously developed during the late 1970s.

Power companies closed ranks AGAINST that technology. Even places WITHOUT electricity like a Navajo Reservation in New Mexico triggered angry letters from the utility to NASA to STOP putting solar panels for water pumping there because it COULD "force electrical rates DOWN IN THE FUTURE".  NASA STOPPED but Carter kept pushing until 1980.          GET IT?

NO?

Check THIS out:

Westinghouse uprated version, the Mod-0A. Four Mod-0A protototypes were installed (Puerto Rico, New Mexico, Hawaii & Rhode Island).

When do you think the above pictures were taken, dear Diners? Would you believe THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO!!?

Wind Energy Comes of Age

By Paul Gipe

Pag 103

After the moon landings, the space program began winding down, and with it the space agency.

NASA was scrambling to redefine itself, to find new "missions," when opportunity struck in the form of the oil embargo.

What began as mere tinkering by researchers at the agency's Lewis research center near Sandusky, Ohio quickly evolved into the most costly wind energy R&D program in the world.

NASA began translating all known documents on wind energy worldwide.
They consulted with Hutter and Putnam and studied the operation of Juul's machine at Gedser. In the end they started down a path blazed years before by Putnam. The result, the Mod-0, resembled neither Hutter's lightweight, flexible, downwind design nor Juul's rigid thee bladed upwind design. NASA's Mod-0 incorproated none of the lessons of Europe, while abandoning Putnam's most significant design element, his hinged blades.

Westinghouse, the contractor on the Mod-0, was subsequently hired to build an uprated version, the Mod-0A, for extended field tests. Four Mod-0A prototypes were installed (Puerto Rico, New Mexico, Hawaii & Rhode Island).

All were scraped when none of the host utilities wanted to assume maintenance of the turbines.

http://www.worldbooksonline.info/Wind-Energy-Comes-of-Age-9780471109242

The book goes on to explain, in detail, how various R&D goals of a high MTBF "couldn't seem to be achieved" in order for these machines to be considered "reliable".  :evil4:

They could build rockets to the moon, supersonic aircraft, high speed jet turbines with micrometer tolerances but making gears, housings and transmissions for a glacially slow giant propeller to generate electricity was just "too hard".

If you believe that, I have time shares in a black hole at the core of the milky way to sell you cheap.

Call 1-800-BIG OIL for your time share reservations. :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:01:25 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: MKing Said:
« Reply #514 on: June 28, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »

:LolLolLolLol:  You obviously don't know WHD from Adam if you think he is some raging fundy....

It was the only explanation I could think of for someone who thinks that ANYONE can deny climate change. It is just not possible, the evidence for climate change is pretty much irrefutable. Only those who believe something at the exclusion of all evidence (like fundys ) seem to fit that profile. Surely you aren't saying his entire post was a charade of ignorance meant as an attempt at a straw man?  :o

OOOgala BOOgala, as I used to say to my niece when she was five. Se rolls her eyes at me now, @ age nine.  ::) :icon_mrgreen:

Pass me another straw man ...  :ernaehrung004: LOL

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
GE’s Brilliant Wind Turbine — Wind Power Cheaper Than Coal Or Natural Gas (Part 1)

June 29, 2013 Andrew

This is Part 1 of a 3-part series on GE’s Brilliant 1.6-100 wind turbine. Keep an eye on CleanTechnica or our GE Brilliant Wind Turbine archives for the rest of the series.

GE made a big energy industry splash recently when it introduced its Brilliant 1.6-100 wind turbine and power management system at the American Wind Energy Association’s (AWEA) WINDPOWER 2013 exhibition in Chicago in early May. One of the first utility-scale wind power systems to incorporate short-term, grid-scale battery storage, the GE Brilliant 1.6-100 addresses one of the criticisms (if not the biggest and most frequently cited criticism) of wind energy: its intermittent nature.

The GE Brilliant 1.6-100 Prototype.
Photo: A. Burger/CleanTechnica

Already cost-competitive with thermal coal and natural gas power generation – not to mention its numerous other often ignored and unaccounted for social and ecological benefits and cost savings, which are substantial – GE’s looking to drive the cost of wind energy down further, pushing the envelope outward by incorporating “industrial Internet” capabilities and short-term, grid-scale power storage in the Brilliant 1.6-100 systems platform.[/szie]

Clearly excited about the Brilliant 1.6-100′s prospects and the tremendous advances in wind power engineering that have been made to date, GE Power & Water invited a group of reporters, including yours truly, to take a tour of the GE Research wind turbine testing facility in southern California’s Tehachapi Mountains, between the San Joaquin Valley and the Mojave Desert.

The outing included not only the chance to see the GE Brilliant 1.6-100 turbine (1.6-megawatt max capacity and 100-meter rotor diameter) and real-time power management system up close and in action, but to climb 80 meters to the turbine’s hub, enter the machine head, and then step outside to see the 100-meter-diameter turbine rotor and get a birds-eye view of the wind turbine testing facility and surrounding area.

Dollars Blowing In The Wind: Improving Wind Farm Economics

Opening the hatch and venturing out atop the GE Brilliant 1.6-100′s machine head.
Credit: A. Burger/CleanTechnica

Ramp Control, Predictive Power Analytics, and Frequency Regulation (i.e. short-term grid power storage) make the Brilliant 1.6-100 more efficient, reliable, and grid friendly — as well as larger — than its predecessors. In short, according to Keith Longtin, general manager of Wind Products for GE Power & Water, the Brilliant 1.6-100 is the “latest and greatest” commercial wind turbine GE has built.

Enabling wind farm owners and operators to more efficiently and cost-effectively convert wind energy into electricity and supply it to power grids improves the economics of utility-scale wind power. One aspect of this is the capacity to generate additional revenue by selling electricity into the frequency regulation segments of regional grid power markets.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s pay-for-performance regulation – FERC 755: “Frequency Regulation Compensation in the Organized Wholesale Power Markets” – requires grid operators to pay power suppliers accordingly (i.e. more for electricity that can be brought onto the grid faster in order to match load demand).

Given adequate wind, turbines can ramp up from a cold start to full capacity in a matter of minutes. This quick-start capability confers wind farms a decided advantage over thermal coal and natural gas–fired power plants when it comes to balancing electricity supply and demand.

On the other hand, it often means that wind farm operators have to spill wind – reduce the amount of wind energy they capture, convert to electricity, and feed into the grid – ramping up to full output more gradually than is possible in order to accommodate grid conditions, a situation that Longtin likened to “dollars flying by” in the wind.

Integrating short-term, grid-scale battery storage into the Brilliant 1.6-100 system platform enables wind farm operators to capture the energy that’s now blowing by in the wind. The system’s Ramp Control features enable this wasted wind energy to be harnessed, converted to electricity, then stored in battery banks as electrochemical energy. It can then be sold and fed into the grid later in the day at a moment’s notice.

Moreover, “by integrating short-term grid storage into the system, we can go real-time into a grid’s DC (direct current) bus, eliminating a big chunk of the power electronics,” Longtin elaborated. Conversely, taking advantage of battery storage also confers benefits when ramping down a wind turbine, smoothing out the electrical flow into the grid by drawing on batteries to supply power to the grid more evenly.

Check out the next post in this series tomorrow for more on GE’s Brilliant wind turbine and energy storage systems.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/29/ges-brilliant-1-6-100-clean-green-grid-ready-wind-power-cheaper-than-coal-or-natural-gas/#ByYwv7gxokqZTQwh.99

agelbert NOTE:Wind Power will BLOW AWAY fossil fuel competitiveness even before PV does.  The delicious IRONY is that fossil fuel pigs, by screwing up the atmosphere and fueling global warming, are INCREASING the potential power from wind!
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #516 on: June 29, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
Thats the spirit! A silver lining in every dark cloud!

YEP!    :icon_mrgreen:
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Complexity Of US Carbon Emissions Cuts, & The 3rd Oil Crisis?
« Reply #517 on: July 02, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
Complexity Of US Carbon Emissions Cuts, & The 3rd Oil Crisis?  
June 30, 2013 Zachary Shahan

Detailed Energy use analysis with graphs here:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/30/complexity-of-us-carbon-emissions-cuts-the-3rd-oil-crisis/#SssAE83BCWUL7KU7.99
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Philippines Makes 100% Renewable Electricity In 10 Years Plan
« Reply #518 on: July 02, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »
Philippines Makes 100% Renewable Electricity In 10 Years Plan   

June 29, 2013 Worldwatch Institute

This article first appeared on the website of the Worldwatch Institute (slightly different title, and image added).

Image Credit: Rice terrace in Philippines via Shutterstock

Manila, Philippines—The Worldwatch Institute’s Climate and Energy Director, Alexander Ochs, met with the Climate Change Commission (CCC) and high-level representatives of the federal and provincial governments of the Philippines yesterday to lay groundwork for a Sustainable Energy Roadmap for the archipelago nation, which aims to shift its current electricity system to 100 percent renewable energy within a decade.

Climate Change Commissioner and former Senator Heherson Alvarez invited Ochs to present Worldwatch’s suggested methodology for a Sustainable Energy Roadmap, which takes an integrated approach to examining the technical, socioeconomic, financial and policy changes necessary for transitioning to a an energy system entirely based on energy efficiency, intelligent grid solutions and renewable supply.

“The Philippines is already a leader in geothermal and hydropower,” said Ochs. “But it’s essential now to chart a future that is socially, economically and environmentally sustainable and addresses the key challenge of providing affordable and reliable energy access for all Filipinos. With our Sustainable Energy Roadmap approach, Worldwatch will help to expand access to energy, address social needs, and advance economic development while protecting local environments and a stable global climate.”

To develop a Sustainable Energy Roadmap, Worldwatch analyzes an area’s potential for energy efficiency gains and undertakes detailed GIS mapping of local renewable energy resources, including biomass, solar, and wind. The Institute also produces an infrastructure inventory that assesses solutions for grid renovation and energy storage. In addition to technical analysis, the Roadmaps explore the socioeconomic impacts of diverse energy pathways, including the potential for sustainable energy development to create jobs and reduce electricity and healthcare costs. Worldwatch’s Roadmaps can be applied anywhere—in industrialized and developing countries—and at multiple levels of political organization, from the municipal to the regional.

CCC Commissioner Alvarez said the government “is concerned with the latest scientific reports that global warming has accelerated, and believes the country must begin to program a path from low carbon to zero carbon along a broad partnership of the public interest and private sector.” Alvarez added that a sustainable energy system will require significant cooperation between international finance, government and private institutions.

“This country has an enormous opportunity to demonstrate how smart and integrated energy planning can be done in the 21st century,” said Ochs. “Any country in the world has great potential for at least one renewable resource, such as biomass, geothermal, hydro, ocean, solar or wind. The Philippines has them all, as well as the human resources, technological know-how, and political leadership necessary to make a low-emissions transition a reality within less than a generation.”

Worldwatch’s Climate and Energy program identifies key components of energy and transportation systems that de-carbonize our economies, boost energy efficiency, spur innovation and job creation, address resource scarcity, and reduce local environmental pollution. Learn more about the Institute’s[color=navy Sustainable Energy Roadmaps: Guiding the Global Shift to Domestic Renewables [/color]and the recently released The Way Forward for Renewable Energy in Central America.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/29/philippines-makes-100-renewables-in-10-years-plan/#jA9VI4V4YUWiKY3U.99
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Uhhh, TELL ME, dear Diners, WHY doesn't Gail Tverberg or Nicole Foss (Stoneleigh) EVER bring up this OBVIOUS business model for utilities, HUH?  :evil4:

The Clean, Simple Solar and Storage Solution to US Utility Business Model Woes
Jennifer Runyon

July 02, 2013
This morning while driving into work, I heard a great interview with former United States Secretary of Energy Stephen Chu on utility business models. While the gist of what he said wasn’t new to me, the clean and elegant way he laid out what he sees as the future of utilities and solar power is worth sharing.

Similar to how in the past telephone companies – he specifically named AT&T – used to own the entire telephone system from the overhead telephone lines up to and including the phone in your house, Chu feels that utilities ought to own solar panels and energy storage systems that they put on their customers’ roofs and in their garages.

He said if utilities could outfit homeowners with solar panels and a 5-kW battery system, they could continue selling that customer power just as they do now. The utility would own the system, maintain the system and the customer would have no out-of-pocket expenses for it other than continuing to buy power at the same rate or at perhaps an even lower rate.

When a blackout occurred that homeowner could use the energy stored in the battery to keep a refrigerator running and maybe keep an LED light bulb on at night. In an outage situation, “that [little bit of power] goes a long way,” he said.

He explained the benefit of this approach for utilities would be many. They would gain a dry, secure “benign” environment to house the energy storage system, presumably a garage, barn or basement. They could then use that stored energy to balance the load on the grid, just as they do today by overloading the line slightly and letting then energy “dribble out,” he explained.

In the three-minute interview, Chu didn’t explain another huge reason that utilities should consider this option: distributed generation used in this way counteracts the need to build additional generation as the load capacity needs increase. And lastly and most important, the utility gets to keep its customer.

I remember way back in 2008 at a tradeshow when a reporter asked a utility this very question during a news conference: “Do you think utilities will ever own solar assets themselves?” The answer given then was strikingly similar to what Chu said utilities are saying now: “Maybe.”

Utilities should probably get clear on their approach soon. When it’s just a quarter or a half of one percent of a utility’s customers that have their own PV and are selling their solar power to the grid at the retail rate, the utility doesn’t care. But energy storage and PV panel costs are dropping, and once that percentage of utility customers’ that are zeroing out their bill goes to 5, 10 or 15 percent then “it’s a big deal” said Chu.

Chu said he told utilities that PV and energy storage is going to come and they should “form a new business model” NOW so that what today is a potential revenue loss, could become an area of growth for them in the future. Plus, he said this model would eventually lead to a more stable grid for us all.

I wonder if we’ll ever hear about one of the many solar leasing companies out there now getting acquired by a utility? That’s a matchup that I would really like to see.

I’ll be heading to Intersolar North America next week to check in with solar companies, energy storage companies, smart inverter manufacturers and more. Let me know in the comments below if there is a question you would like me to ask these experts.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2013/07/the-clean-simple-solar-and-storage-solution-to-us-utility-business-model-woes?cmpid=WNL-Wednesday-July3-2013

Agelbert NOTE:  This is PRECISELY the business model that Solar City (SCTY) is pushing PLUS guaranteeing an immediate 10% reduction in rate per kWh. The contract guarantees the customer will always pay 10% less than the utility is charging fo 10 years. If the utilities don't start offering something comparable SOON, the Solar City business model will eat them alive.

OF COURSE this new busines model is putting the Fossil Fuel Lakeys and Lobbyists in PANIC MODE! 

WHY? Because it has ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT SELLING YOU FOSSIL FUELS and NEVER about providing you with ENERGY!  ;)  :o If it really was about providing you with ENERGY, the "energy experts" MIGHT be able to talk about something besides "all the coal Germany is buying" or how "coal is going to get cheap", etc., ad nauseum.  :evil4:

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Finnish Fortum CHP Plant Dents Russian Dominance in Lithuania
« Reply #520 on: July 03, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
Finnish Fortum CHP Plant Dents Russian Dominance in Lithuania 

Not the new plant in this article. FYI on how efficient these plants are.  :emthup: :icon_mrgreen:

Linas Jegelevicius, International Correspondent

Russian gas supplier Gazprom’s 100 percent prevalence in Lithuania has been shaken up in the seaport city of Klaipeda, where Finnish energy firm Fortum has opened a $173-million combined heat and power plant (CHPP). The 20-MW biomass and waste-fuelled plant will produce 40 percent of Klaipeda’s heating needs and decrease its dependency on Russian gas approximately as much.

“Use of sorted waste and biomass as fuel in the CHPP will offer a sustainable and cost-effective solution for city and is expected to reduce CO2 emissions by about 100,000 tons annually in the city,” said Andrius Kasparavicius, head of the communications department at Fortum Klaipeda.

The plant is believed to have far-reaching political and economic ramifications. “Finland is known for high transparency of business. The plant will be not only an example for Lithuania of an excellent foreign investment but also an example of political and business culture investment,” said Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite.

Combined heat and power plants make up nearly 30 percent of the energy mix in Finland.
Kestutis Girnius, a prominent U.S.-born political analyst, explains the Fortum investment as “a slow but inevitable Gazprom retraction from the Baltics and Lithuania.”

“The Finnish CHPP is a dent in the Gazprom prevalence in Lithuania,” said Girnius. “If Lithuania manages to build a LNG terminal in Klaipeda by the end of 2014 as planned, and interconnect its electricity grid through the NordBalt (700 MW) and LitPol Link (500 MW) projects with Sweden and Poland by 2016, it will deal a severe blow to Gazprom.”
The European Union’s decision to unbundle energy suppliers and operators, which has been embraced by Lithuania but excoriated by Russia, has also had a significant impact, explained Girnius. The Fortum plant will be a “big stride” for Lithuania in fulfilling its EU-commitment to produce 355 MW of energy capacity from biomass and biogas by 2020.  :icon_sunny:

“The Fortum facility has enhanced Lithuania’s chances to meet the commitment on time. Development of bio-mass-fuelled energy production has been the steadiest among other renewable energy sources in Lithuania,” said Ruslan Sklepovic, president of Lithuania’s Renewable Energy Producer Association (LREPA). “As the public opposition against anything what is related to renewables is still high in Lithuania, the successful project will also diminish the resistance, and possibly expedite other renewable energy projects.”

Fortum operates two CHPPs, one in Chelyabinsk and one in the Tumen region. Klaipeda is the first waste-and-biomass-to-power plant in the Baltic States and one of the four that Fortum plans to launch in the Baltic and Nordic countries this year.
“The fact that Russia let the Finns step into its market shows the changing energy landscape in Russia and weakening Gazprom prevalence” noted Kasparavicius.

Full Story Here:

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2013/06/finnish-fortum-chp-plant-dents-russian-dominance-in-lithuania

Faith,

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 03, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »
algebert,
I completely admire your consistent efforts to highlight the renewable energy efforts which are proceeding.  However a part of me gets even more depressed when looking at these efforts.  My belief is that the only legitimate long term answer is very decentralized simple energy systems which a solar economy can power. 
My reasoning is both technical and sociological.
On the technical front its simple thermodynamics at play, no matter how we dice it EROEI is declining, we can not support the levels of complexity we have at present period.  Our best bet for a free non slave based society is to create a new set of infrastructure which maximizes EROEI for solar tech.  This will be achieved by reorganzing probably in a sort of village decentralized manner and by making our tech as simple as possible.

On a sociological front I believe that we must have distributed locally manufactured infrastructure so that economic benefits are well distributed.  The renewable tech oft touted know is created by big time leveraged capital in an effort for them to aggregate yet more capital. 

I actually hope my views on this are off.  I want to find some positive good news to rally on.  I'm hoping you have a more nuanced positive spin on this for me to examine.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Roamer said
« Reply #522 on: July 03, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
I actually hope my views on this are off.  I want to find some positive good news to rally on.  I'm hoping you have a more nuanced positive spin on this for me to examine.

Well sir, as a matter of fact, I am a bit more hopeful, but not on the horrendous weather coming our way that will destroy crops and infrastructure, bake the shit out of part of the planet, flood the shit out of the other part and kill a large part of aquatic life as well. That weather is pretty much baked in.  :emthdown:

However, I have a different, and very positive, view of the energy capturing and using devices in our civilization.

First, I agree that EROEI is declining in FOSSIL FUELS and NUCLEAR POWER. The reason is that the EROEI numbers were tricked up in the beginning to subtracting including environmental and infrastructure AND ADDING government subsidy FREEBIES on the taxpayer dime.

If you think the EROEI numbers Professor Hall from the SUNY energy study have jack shit to do with real world energy use and the laws of thermodynamics, I have a time share in a black hole at the center of the Milky Way to sell you. :icon_mrgreen: I won't go into details here but, as an engineer, you understand what enthalpy is. It is a convenient method of BOILING WATER (NOT IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER OF AN ICE) to measure the energy density of a fuel. THIS IS INFANTILE. But it is the industry standard BULLSHIT that enables people from Exxon to say that gasoline has a higher EROEI than ethanol.

The energy density per mole in a high octane gasoline is assumed to be lower due to the higher energy of activation. This is a half truth. This half truth is used by the EROI experts to claim ethanol, which has a high octane rating, has a lower EROI than gasoline. Simply changing the compression ratio in an engine to a high compression makes ethanol equivalent in MJ/L to gasoline. But, of course, the Hall study arbitrarily stopped at the octane rating “energy of activation” differences between gasoline and ethanol with zero discussion of high compression engines. That was very convenient for gasoline EROI and very inconvenient for ethanol EROI.
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2012/07/17/hope-for-a-viable-biosphere-of-renewables/

Roamer, it's a LIE. But let's get past ICE fuels for a second. WHY? Because they are only about 20% efficient. Yes, I know the big steam engines in power plants can get up to 60% through capture of second stage energy but the POINT is that the ICE is a ridiculously inefficient way to get mechanical energy. It's STUPID. It ALWAYS WAS STUPID.

And NOW that the poisoned chickens are coming home to roost in the form of atmospheric heat, higher manufacturing and maintenance costs for high temperature alloys AND 400 ppm CO2, OF COURSE the gamed EROEI numbers for fossil fuels AND nuclear energy are starting to look like the bullshit they always were.

ENERGY means absolutely nothing until it makes some work happen, right? I am telling you right here and now that you were taught to deny the enormous inefficiencies downstream from combustion because it suites the fossil fuel pigs for engineers to do so. Your world view as an engineer includes the FALSE belief that the ICE is an efficient way to convert the energy in a fossil fuel to mechanical energy. It isn't. It never was.

Did you know that in 1940, ONE THIRD of all the electricity in the USA came from about 1,500 hydroelectric power plants? Did you know you can make a hydroelectric power plant WITHOUT damming up a bunch of water? Oh, I'm sure you have looked at the 'horrendously weak" energy potential in stored water and what a "poor" substitute for "high energy density" CRAP like fossil fuels that gravity power is. Look again. Look here.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XF7mbEsEP04#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XF7mbEsEP04#&fs=1</a>
http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/01/moving-mountains-storing-energy-tedx-talk/

The technology is there. It involves a giant piston head (no connecting rod or link to a crank shaft) inside a cylindrical shaft that goes deep into the ground. The piston requires some type of giant O-rings so it can take about 10 bar pressures. Excess power from wind and or PV during the day causes water to be pumped UNDER the piston (which is EXTREMELY HEAVY).  When not enough wind or sun can service the grid, valves open for instant power as the piston descends. The quickness of this response FAR EXCEEDS the quickest thing available now which is natural gas fired power plants. 

What's the efficiency? It's INCREDIBLY HIGH and has little or no thermal waste ANYWHERE in the energy distribution chain. If all vehicles are EVs (including ships), a  MASSIVE amount of heat energy never hits the atmosphere. See the video above for details.  :emthup: :icon_sunny:

Can civilization make a million of these gizmos all over the earth? Sure. This is OLD technology! We know all about hydraulic forces. Will it be done? Maybe not. But not because of thermodynamic law limitations and the energy required to run the planet.

Did you know there is a SUCCESSFUL CSP power plant that is THIRTY YEARS OLD!!?

Solar Energy Generating Systems solar power plants III-VII at Mojave Desert, California.
Image & Caption Credit: Alan Radecki Akradecki

The longest running concentrated solar power plant in the US is about to reach its 30th birthday , and the end of its power purchase agreement – but its owners are not about to pack it up and take it home. They are now looking at the next 30 years, and storage is likely to form a major part of the equation.

CSP (also known as solar thermal) is often branded an emerging technology,  :evil4: but the first plants have been around for decades.  :o The 14MW SEGS I and 30MW SEGS II plants near Daggett in the Mojave Desert in California were built in 1985. (SEGS stands for Solar Energy Generating System).

Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/02/30-year-old-concentrating-solar-power-plant-looking-to-upgrade-add-storage/#Fh7fvrvi1MpPGJE4.99

CSP is MUCH MORE EFFICIENT than ICE power plants. CSP has a very high EROEI DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT USES zero fossil fuels.

Tell me, do you think our government and scientists DIDN'T KNOW THIS IN 1985!!? Just like using gravity in more efficient ways, CSP uses the sun more efficiently. Today, with sophisticated Fresnel lens CSP and super heated salts, they run for 24/7 (i.e. the new ones in Spain among others). Granted, these DO put out a lot of waste heat but MUCH LESS than an ICE power plant.

A 100% Renewable Energy civilization was DOABLE IN THE 1970S! It hasn't been done because the fossil fuel fucks didn't want it to happen. They are still at it doing THIS:
Phase 1 – Belittle & Deny the Renewable Energy Option

Phase 2 – Denounce & Mobilize Against the Renewable Energy Option

Phase 3 - Spread Doubt & Misrepresent the Challenges in the Disguise of General Support

(Note: reaching Phase 3 doesn’t mean that Phase 1 & 2 will disappear.)

Full Enlightening Article covering modern day sophisticated mendacious propaganda techniques geared to simultaneously defend nuclear power and attack renewable energy HERE:[/i
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php?topic=1489.msg25443#msg25443[/color][/size]

Roamer, we have a political problem caused by the oil oligarchy. We do not have an energy problem, a technology problem or the inability to transition to 100% or better (for bioremediation) Renewable energy.

There are other technologies that can harvest MASSIVE  amounts of energy 24/7 from underwater turbines just a few miles from the majority of the largest cities on the planet along ocean coasts. There goes the "unacceptable transmission losses from long distances" argument against renewables from the fossil fuel lackeys for the big cities.

And as to EROEI, even with the gamed formula, PV is INCREASING it's EROEI as the efficiency has gone from 10-15% early on to 33-44% now. Wind turbine EROEI is also going UP because they now are replacing (on a ONE giant new turbine for every THREE old ones upgrade) old wind turbines for new, taller ones. One turbine generating the power of three with ONLY the maintenance costs of a single turbine UPS the EROEI. :emthup:

ALL the renewable energy technologies (including hydro with the piston!) are increasing their EROEI with innovation. That's just not possible for fossil fuels.

And increasingly efficient electric motors are multiplying the efficiency of captured renewable energy.

The Solar Revolution is being enhanced by a revolution in Electric Motor Efficiency

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PDoAvOA18E#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_PDoAvOA18E#&fs=1</a>

Electric motors, already over 70% efficient, are now being made with cast copper rotors (instead of Aluminum) using a new process. Billions of electric motors in thousands of applications from EVs to household appliances to manufacturing will now benefit from a radical INCREASE in efficiency accompanied by a DECREASE in thermal waste. This means, for a given amount of energy output, the motors will last more than twice as long and weigh less as well as previous electric motors. This amounts to massive energy savings worldwide and another step in eliminating the internal combustion engine (ICE) pollution and heat scourge from civilization.

All the above said, I agree that the corrupt authorities are doing an awful lot to keep renewable energy in the starting gate. It won't work this time.

WHY?

Because the horrendous weather will persuade them renewable energy AND a return to 350 MAXIMUM ppm of CO2 is NOT OPTIONAL. :icon_mrgreen:

Listen to me. Solar City is going to eat a lot of utilities alive with their business model. If TSHTF scenario from nuclear war or some other insanity doesn't happen, working on a corporation like Solar City, Tesla or any CSP power plant will keep you in the cutting edge of new technology as well as keep you fed, housed and clothed.

Think about it. Mechanical Engineers are not a dime a dozen. You have skills. Market them in renewables. California, Arizona or Texas seem like the hottest growth areas now.

If we have a future, renewable energy will play a prominent role in it. Think about it. ;)

Faith,

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
I'll get that one up on the Blog AB.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 03, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
agelbert,
Its funny I'm the opposite as you.  I believe we can more quickly create an adaptive ag that will function in global warming than fix our energy infrastructure.  i'll have to explain why sometime.

I admire your enthusiasm, and I agree with many of the points you make.  Yes ICE waste high EROEI consistently, yes fossil fuels and conventional engineering has a warped distorted perspective because of the ICE, and yes we have an oil oligarchy protecting its turf. 
However say we hypothetically made all the oil companies dissappear tommorow and where able to suspend the laws of time and implement our favorite renewables of choice and then where tasked with making certain all of societies critical needs were met we'd have a tall order.  The devil is in the details and quantities.

Its the magnitudes, its 21 million barallels per day we are dependent on.  Its created massive structural centralization that can only be sustained by incredible energetci inputs.  Not enough wind, and not enough rare earth material for PV's to scale and replace.  We have to structurally rearrange society to solve the problem.  Distributed solar powered villaged, not bit cities and surely not suburbia.  i fear we'll sink very useful resources and capital towards these energy sources (as we arguably have with wind) when the real answer is structural change.