AuthorTopic: The Surlynewz Channel  (Read 681797 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Week that Was in Doom- The Surlynewz Column
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »
Be careful what you wish for...not that any Monarch, benevolent or not could screw things up much worse than our elected leaders.

I do think there is a wishfulness for a strong leader that is out there in the collective unconscious, just under the surface. The problem is that this kind of wishfulness gave the world Hitler and Mussolini.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:45:15 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: David Gregory wants me arrested just for commenting on this post.
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
Never has the hypocrisy of the liberal Democrats been more obvious. People who vote for the Schumers and Pelosis should take note. They work for their corporate masters, not their liberal constituency. As a recovering Democrat, I  feel it's my duty to point that out.

JHK, if you are reading this, may I point out that Obama is completely culpable here, and so far from his pre-2008 rhetoric as to be a complete and utter hypocrite.

I wish I could get my Millenial kids to see this. They want to think that the Democratic Party can still make a difference. In many of our political conversations, they try to paint me as a neo-con, which is pretty laughable since I voted a straight Democratic ticket until 2008. My wife has taken to calling me a "conspiracy theorist", which is laughable to me, since I consider myself a conspiracy skeptic.

Talk about normalcy bias.

Let's face it, none of them are any good.  So depressed from their deeds the thought of a King even sounds good.

A Kind, Benevolent, Wise, Just monarch that is; someone approaching our Dungeon  Master in qualities.  ;D :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh: :exp-laugh:

GO, why at this time am I thinking of Plato's "Republic" and Philosopher-King?

Eddie: "recovering democrat." LOL. Get out of my head....

In terms of pitched disagreements I have had in person and online, the most abrasive have been with libertarians of the True Believer stripe, who think that the principle that we might share common values and interests makes the holder of such opinions a "statist."
An Occupier a "statist." Pause and admire the audacity of the ignorance embodied in that statement...

The NEXT most pitched battles have been with democrat true believers, who think that the D party was not in fact wholly hijacked by Rahm Fucking Emanuel and the DLC and made manifest by that class-traitor Clinton. democrats still believe that there are two parties in this country, instead of the one that represents the Washington consensus.

Perhaps there are, come to think of it. Dinoreps and the Tea Party.

One of the things that pulls us together here, IMO, is that we see the patterns emerging and connect the dots. That we consider the evidence and the implications of the evidence. That we attempt to use the knowledge at our disposal to articulate a plan for survival. Many of us have been living like this for years, which marks us as contrarians from the get-go.

To most people each one of us must look like a conspiracy theorist.

If you want the scales to fall from someone's eyes, encourage them to read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins. Good place to start.

Otherwise, it takes decades of trying to make sense of the disinfo, accumulated bullshit and wholesale betrayals by the agents of the government, and years of asking the question, "in what scenario does this make sense" before the scales fall from your eyes.

As you already know.

Normalcy bias may be a comfort, but it has limited survival value.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »
Be careful what you wish for...not that any Monarch, benevolent or not could screw things up much worse than our elected leaders.

I do think there is a wishfulness for a strong leader that is out there in the collective unconscious, just under the surface. The problem is that this kind of wishfulness gave the world Hitler and Mussolini.

Pretty clear now, most of America would not lose a step or a shred of sleep, if some coup were to happen, some strong man stepping in, to restore "normalcy". At least 70% of Americans and probably more would gladly give up even the pretension toward liberty, freedom etc, if they thought whatever strong man was capable of establishing security sufficient to keep big box stores open, coffee shops supplied with coffee, etc.

Of course, 9/11 may have been the coup, and we are all just living in the aftermath of the ensuing totalitarianism. Living, as it were, by the indulgence of the super-state, which has no language or ideology but the maintenance and exertion of power. In which case it will lash out and crush anything it perceives as a threat. Which will not be death-cult fundamentalist Muslims, but clear-headed, outspoken Americans opposed to institutional injustice, the abuse of power, etc.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: WHD said
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
Living, as it were, by the indulgence of the super-state, which has no language or ideology but the maintenance and exertion of power.

Well said. This is pretty much my own view on things.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »

Pretty clear now, most of America would not lose a step or a shred of sleep, if some coup were to happen, some strong man stepping in, to restore "normalcy". At least 70% of Americans and probably more would gladly give up even the pretension toward liberty, freedom etc, if they thought whatever strong man was capable of establishing security sufficient to keep big box stores open, coffee shops supplied with coffee, etc.

Freedom's just another word for Social Media.

A "Coup" is unnecessary, our Masters log ago figured out how to run Da Goobermint from behind the curtain and so remain Unidentifiable and Unaccountable.  We have been living under a Fascist State run by a small cabal of Industrialists since at least the time of the Civil War, and likely quite a bit before that, considering Matthew Perry took his Gunboats to forcibly open up Japan for trade in the 1850s.  Probably began in earnest with the first railroads being built in the 1820s-30s.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #230 on: June 25, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »

Of course, 9/11 may have been the coup, and we are all just living in the aftermath of the ensuing totalitarianism. Living, as it were, by the indulgence of the super-state, which has no language or ideology but the maintenance and exertion of power. In which case it will lash out and crush anything it perceives as a threat. Which will not be death-cult fundamentalist Muslims, but clear-headed, outspoken Americans opposed to institutional injustice, the abuse of power, etc.

Quote of the day, and reposted on the DDFB site.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
None Dare Call it FASCISM: How the NSA has (already) privatized tyranny
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
None Dare Call it FASCISM: How the NSA has (already) privatized tyranny
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/none_dare_call_it_fascism_how_the_nsa_has_already_privatized_tyranny

Though most people seem to be dimly aware of the fact that NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden was not technically an employee of NSA or the US Federal Government, I don’t see anyone raising the kind of stink that this pertinent little fact truly merits. And combine that with the “anything goes” environment that was clearly in operation while Snowden was peering into pretty much whatever he wanted, and the implications are pretty fucking serious indeed.

Let’s start with one of Snowden’s comments to Glenn Greenwald and the UK’s Guardian newspaper:

But I sitting at my desk certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone from you or your accountant to a Federal judge to even the President if I had a personal e-mail.”

Say what? So I’m not allowed to even know this program exists, but a high school dropout working in a lowly cubical in Booz Allen Hamilton can listen in to everything I say on the telephone or write in an email or post on the Internet? What the fuck? Doesn’t anyone see how screwy that is?

Maybe we’ve just stopped giving a shit and are hoping to ride out the last years of Empire in blissful ignorance, chatting about cute cats on Facebook and watching our favorite shows on TV (The Mad Men season finale was just superb, wasn’t it?) OK, I get that. But let’s at least think about what it is we’re tuning out because, who knows? It could cause the US death-spiral to come around far sooner than anticipated, and that would be a serious buzz kill.

So let’s break it down, shall we? What’s the biggest secret exposed by Snowden so far? That the NSA engages in ubiquitous surveillance on pretty much all forms of communication in the US, of both domestic as well as internationally-bound traffic? Well, we kinda knew that already. Back in 2005 AT&T Telecom engineer Mark Klein blew the whistle on the NSA’s “secret room” in the Folsom Street CO (Central Office). Any kind of analysis of that setup (and Klein even included the connection diagrams) would give you a decent idea of what was going on. So no, ubiquitous surveillance wasn’t much of a surprise, not if you were paying careful attention.

What IS a surprise was just how fucked up and sloppy the whole NSA operation is. In fact, during his live chat via The Guardian’s website on June 17th, Snowden said this:

Additionally, audits are cursory, incomplete, and easily fooled by fake justifications.

In other words, the National Security Agency just let a bunch of freelance contractors more or less run wild with unlimited access to the most sensitive conceivable data of any and every US citizen along with a goodly portion of communications of non-US residents as well.

Monitoring? Controls? Audits? Are you shittin’ me? But how can we be absolutely sure, you might ask, that Snowden was telling the truth? Precisely because even a low-level contractor was able to access and download highly classified PowerPoint presentations and a whole smorgasbord of super secret spy stuff and then leak it to the world! (In modern computer networks this is trivial to control.)

At first blush it would appear that the main thing NSA has been doing with their impenetrable cloak of secrecy is to completely goof off and unaccountably run wild with their very special powers with the only “control” in place being the fear that any leakers would experience the Bradley Manning treatment. If it weren’t for the NSA cone of silence, this would be heralded universally as laughably and unbelievably incompetent. On the other hand, perhaps this isn’t simply complete negligence. Perhaps it’s the symptom of something far darker…

Consider what YOU would do with that level of access. After you got into work, grabbed coffee, and read TMZ, you might spend half an hour or so checking out red-tagged conversations of, say, members of Mosques in Brooklyn, or say, groups of Muslim girls gathering to watch Jon Stewart (yeah, that’s a real thing), or maybe even listen in on the methed-out ravings of some hillbilly militia scaring each other into buying yet more guns in preparation of the UN’s inevitable communist takeover of bumfuck Idaho. But all of that “real work” would get boring fast. So maybe you daydream a bit and then, all of a sudden, it hits you: What if you could, say, listen in on the CEOs, CFOs and whatever other Os there are of some mega-corporation. Hell, you could probably use a special software “agent” to automatically scan huge wads of traffic and send you anything with the phrases, “Bankruptcy announcement to the press tomorrow”, or “Earnings shortfall” or “Hostile takeover.” Knowing as you do that no one’s monitoring what you access on those super-secret NSA pipes, you realize it would be both trivially easy and unbelievably lucrative to act on an early tip before it was announced to Wall Street. In fact, you could possibly make millions.

But then another thought hits you. Maybe, just maybe, you aren’t the first person to think of this. In fact, Booz Allen Hamilton has been growing their government consulting business to National Security agencies by leaps and bounds, and their financial consulting arm has been doing pretty good too:

Booz Allen provides support to all federal finance and treasury organizations charged with the collection, management, and protection of the nation’s financial system. Such agencies include the US Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Federal Reserve Board and Banks, Securities Exchange Commission, and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation

So doesn’t this strike you as somewhat “funny”? Isn’t this some major league conflict of interest? On the one hand, BAH has been clearly given carte blanche to listen in on anything and everything, and they also happen to be in the financial “consulting” business. Would BAH ever take a significant financial position based on, oh let’s say, very privileged information? Though they may or may not do this under their own name, they clearly have the financial chops to create a vast maze of shell companies. Or maybe BAH as an organization doesn’t do this, but bigshots within it do.

Perhaps this sounds paranoid or like completely baseless speculation, but after the LIBOR and REIT scandals, it’s obvious that there are no government checks in place to detect such activities. Moreover, even if this hasn’t actually happened yet, given the sloppiness of the controls and unlimited access to surveillance data, it’s absolutely obvious that this is going to happen sooner or later. Indeed, perhaps that sloppiness in protecting confidential data is precisely because someone’s dipping into this data goldmine and is making out like a bandit.

From here it’s easy to imagine all sorts of ugly scenarios: A giant, über-secret private company that is ultimately answerable to no one but that has access to anything you might say or post on the Internet (ie, including what you might do to try to stop it), while also being able to capitalize on their access to literally priceless financial secrets via their consulting and access to the markets. Once such a monstrosity sunk its claws in deep enough it would be very difficult to pull that thing off…ever. Then again, isn’t this what the Koch Brothers and their stooges the Tea Party wanted all along? They want to kill the state and Federal agencies so that a small keiretsu of giant companies can step in and take over. This “state corporatism” had a name which was called, hold on a minute while I remember…oh yeah, that’s right, Fascism.

Am I saying there’s some gigantic fascist conspiracy out there ready to take over the world? Nah. Well, probably not. But the point is that there doesn’t need to be an actual conspiracy in order for our true liberties to be under attack by the large corporations: Remember, Nestlé‘s CEO wants to privatize your water supply and sell your water back to you; Bush, Cheney and the cartoonishly malevolent Dr Strangelove Donald Rumsfeld privatized war and Mike McConnell of Booz Allen Hamilton has long been a (successful) advocate of privatizing US national security (and he was previously director of National Security under Bush).

Where’s all this headed? I don’t know, but I DO know it ain’t headed for more security, more freedom and better access to water in the world! These fuckers have a vested interest in keeping things nice and turbulent while making you think that there are legions of Muslims, communists and homosexuals out there just waiting to steal your freedoms, give away all your hard-earned stuff and sodomize your children. Meanwhile, of course, they and the Congress they have bought and paid for keep defunding essential Federal programs to the point where they can no longer function properly, so the public concludes, “Well, these government agencies can’t do anything so we might as well just get rid of them. And let’s privatize prisons and schools while we’re at it.”

Who knows? Will we soon enter the time where private contractors raised on “Call of Duty” operate domestic drones and have kill quotas that earn them cash incentives? Fuck, I read the kill list wrong, one might say, Can you ask your buddy to change the name on my list to whoever it was I just nailed? Thanks, pal. Beers are on me tonight.

What’s the solution? I don’t know, but let’s apply a nice, hot blowtorch to Booz Allen Hamilton’s filthy snout and push them the hell out of that giant government feeding trough filled to the brim with our tax dollars: They’re clearly incompetent, negligent, and have allowed documents of National Security to be accessed, downloaded and then leaked. (And don’t misunderstand: Snowden is a hero for exposing all of what’s been going on, but that still doesn’t mean BAH wasn’t negligent.) We also need to take baseball bat to the giant, heavy-lidded porcine head of the NSA as it gobbles down the information you and I own.

Let’s just not miss what is arguably an even greater danger, the privatization and outsourcing of tyranny itself to the big mega-corporates.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Add NSA: Is the NSA Blackmail Inc. for the military industrial complex?
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
More form Jon Rappoport on the NSA. Making some sense, IMO.

Is NSA Blackmail Inc. for the military industrial complex?
By Jon Rappoport

June 28, 2013

www.nomorefakenews.com

Every director of the NSA is a general or an admiral.

The NSA is organized under the US Dept. of Defense.

Imagine that you are a powerful player who straddles two worlds---the Dept. of Defense and the private sector where corporate defense-contractors live and flourish.

You've served many times in both arenas. Your name is Mr. Military Industrial Complex.

Your mission is war.

The reasons for war don't matter. Reasons can be invented at the drop of a hat. You want endless armed conflict.

That's how you make your money. That's how you express your impulses. That's your single obsession. That's how you forward Empire.

You don't have to justify what you do or consult your conscience. Those days, if they ever existed, are long past. You're a war-monger and you're proud of it.

Your basic challenge, on behalf of the military industrial complex, is working the political machinery in Washington---the Congress, the president, the two major Parties---in order to make war happen.

One day, you look around and you say, "I have a whole super-agency at my disposal. It's organized under the Dept. of Defense. It-called the NSA. It spies on everybody all the time."

You realize you can use the NSA to collect endless amounts of information on Congress, the White House, the president, the press, and the Democratic and Republican leadership.

Well, the NSA is already doing that.

So the question is: will you use that explosive information, that very private information gained through spying, to coerce these politicians to go to war when you want to go to war?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Of course you'll use it. You'd be a complete fool not to.

In fact, in the long run, this may well be the most important function of NSA.
Yes. Given your overriding mission in life, it is the most important function of NSA.

It's job number one.

So you're going to make sure the resources of the NSA are tuned up quite effectively to extract the information you need.

It's called blackmail. It's called extortion. It's beautiful.

It's the natural use of the NSA, within the overall structure of the military industrial complex.

There are always recalcitrant members of Congress and reluctant presidents who could use a push to go to war.

These politicians, the overwhelming majority of them, are criminals. Let's face it. They're remarkably indifferent to human life.

They cheat and lie and steal. They have private secrets. They commit acts that would, if exposed, embarrass them and destroy their pathetic careers.

They're wonderfully fertile targets for spying and blackmail.

You have the spear. The leading point that can penetrate those secrets.

The NSA.

The logic is perfect and complete.

So you really have two enemies or targets. One, the foreign nation you intend to invade, and two, the politicians you need to convince to support that war.

In light of your latter target, the politicians, these words of Sun Tzu (The Art of War) take on new meaning:

"Attack [your enemy] where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." For example, in a Senator's hotel suite, with video capability, while he is in the arms of a hooker.

"The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle." For example, calculations focusing on politicians' offshore bank accounts.

In the era of kings and queens, the monarch's court was rife with intrigue and extortion. We labor under the misapprehension that this has all been cleared up and swept away in the time of "open government."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Only means and tools have changed.

Relentless PR projected at the public makes a case for honest, honorable, and embattled politicians. Secondary layers of PR make the case that rabidly morbid partisanship infects political life.

Both of these psyops are cover stories.

The core truth is harsher. Politicians are, overwhelmingly, creatures who have decided whom to sell their souls to. That's who they are. People of this stripe always wander off course in their private lives.

The NSA is there to record the wanderings and compile the secrets.

NSA is the elephant in the infested room called Washington.

It remembers everything.

War is war, and preparing to go to war is also war. The military industrial complex needs the NSA to close the deal.

Spying, blackmail.

This is how politicians' arms are twisted and war is guaranteed.

Things aren't left to chance. It isn't, "Maybe some day we'll go to war or maybe we won't."

The military industrial complex sells death. It's backed up by the largest spying agency in the world, who has red-hot files on politicians' scandalous private behavior.

From Russ Tice, former intelligence analyst with 20 years of experience at NSA, the US Air Force, the Office of Naval Intelligence, and the Defense Intelligence Agency, in a June 2013 interview with Boiling Frogs:

"They [NSA] went after[spied on] -- and I know this because I had my hands literally on the paperwork for these sort of things -- they went after high-ranking military officers; they went after members of Congress, both Senate and the House, especially on the intelligence committees and on the armed services committees and some of the -- and judicial...

"They went after lawyers and law firms. All kinds of -- heaps of lawyers and law firms. They went after judges. One of the judges is now sitting on the Supreme Court that I had his wiretap information in my hand. Two are former FISA court judges. They went after State Department officials. They went after people in the executive service that were part of the White House -- their own people.

"Here's the big one... this was in summer of 2004, one of the papers that I held in my hand was to wiretap a bunch of numbers associated with a 40-something-year-old wannabe senator for Illinois. You wouldn't happen to know where that guy lives right now would you? It's a big white house in Washington, D.C. That's who they went after, and that's the president of the United States now."

Jon Rappoport

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Tesla wins in NC
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »
This one's for agelbert.

Tesla wins in North Carolina, paves the way for direct-to-consumer sales

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/27/tesla-victory-north-carolina

Tesla Motors continues to buck the odds, celebrating a major victory in the North Carolina Senate this week. The North Carolina Automobile Dealers -- concerned about competition -- set its sights on the green car company last month when it endorsed a bill that would've significantly curtailed Tesla's ability to sell vehicles in the state. The legislation, supported by the Senate's Commerce Committee, targeted direct-to-consumer sales which eliminate the need for dealerships. But Elon Musk and friends proved that it wouldn't be quite so easy to squeeze them out of NCAD's territory -- Tesla took both North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory and House Speaker Thom Tillis on test drives to show off the car's capabilities. Musk's strategy seems to have paid off, as the North Carolina House of Representatives struck down the bill on Tuesday. With another victory under its belt, Tesla's upward momentum shows few signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:54 AM »
I never got to post this, before the Forum went out, so here you go...
TWTWID for June 30 on the blog.

“Reality is for people who can’t face drugs.”~ Laurence Peter
“Imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness. . .  In effect antidepressants are a means of modifying an individual’s internal state in such a way as to enable him to tolerate social conditions that he would otherwise find intolerable.”  ― Theodore Kaczynski

With every news cycle we  move into times more absurd and cruel then we could possibly imagine. The daily headlines have outstripped the creativity of satirists and humorists. The mainstream media lies, and reminiscent of the Soviet Union of bygone days, only comedians are able to tell the truth.  Brain-eating amoebas! Plot to execute Occupy leaders abetted by FBI!  This week we learned that an activist faces 13 years in prison for wielding sidewalk chalk, banksters caught dead to rights colluding in fraud face nothing,  we connect the dots on species extinction, and we are shocked… shocked to learn that the last people that the NSA wants to surveil are terrorists.  The president of Ecuador tweaks the New World Order,  Phyllis Schafly rises from her crypt, and Fukushima continues to tick away, glowing in the dark with malevolent certainty. There is a reason the proverb has it, “many a truth is told in jest.”  So, barkeep, for my friends here antidepressants all around with a Prestone chaser. Belly up to the Diner bar for yet another round.

Post your calumnies here...

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:39 AM »
“Reality is for people who can’t face drugs.”~ Laurence Peter

Reality is for people who can't handle infinite improbabilities...  :icon_mrgreen:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
GANGSTA GOVERNMENT
« Reply #236 on: July 03, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »
Here is a good old fashioned rant, reminiscent of some of that good ol' time religion that we are missing so badly these days...
William O'Connor for mayor. Or maybe legbreaker...

Gangsta Government
by WILLIAM O'CONNOR
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/06/14/gangsta-government/

“I’ll let you have the $10,000 for three points. That’s only because I know you.”

I’m listening to Tony yak, my Shylock. Yak, yak has earned the moniker. He never gives his mouth a rest.

Yak’s giving me the loan at street price: $30 for every $1,000. That’s “juice.” Every week I’ll pay $300, but nothing comes off the top.

Usury’s a felony. The Yak did a three-and-a -half year stretch for it.

That’s the way it was back in the day.

Now, credit card companies make cash loans at 28 percent with Congress’ blessing.

Many Credit card companies call Delaware home.

Corporate-media-labeled “liberal progressive,” Joe Biden, championed these thieves for 36 years. Bankers contributed mightily to keep him in office and advance his career.

Our vice president’s no liberal progressive, anymore than our president’s a socialist. If they are, they’re piss poor examples of both.

In America, money doesn’t talk, but screams to a comatose public, a criminal government and a corrupt media. You don’t have to listen hard to hear it.

After Bush’s “reign of error,” our “socialist” received more money from Wall Street, Big Pharm and the insurance companies than McCain. Corporations knew Obama would win. The $1 billion the president spent on his campaign didn’t come from the poor, the unions, or the N.A.A.C.P.

In this era of doublespeak, bribery’s commonplace, and referred to, euphemistically, as campaign donations.  Once elected, our venal legislators forget campaign promises and become baptized pragmatists.

Law enforcement locks up the occasional campaign donor but rarely locks up congressmen who solicit the bribes.

Lock up the prostitutes but wink at the Johns.

Of the $2 billion spent on the last presidential election, 65 percent of it was “donated” by less than 250 powerbrokers.

This shrieks campaign finance reform.

Over 90 percent of incumbents outspent their opponents. America holds auctions, not elections.

When George Soros or the Koch Brother’s vote mean more than yours, the Republic is broken. Our legislators are millionaires, and people in power make laws to benefit themselves.

The status quo ensures that the cries of the poor will go unheard over the whispers of the rich.

Our investment bankers and financial systems have gamed the system. In the last decade, Wall Street donated almost $12 billion to both corporate parties. Major corporations hire the best accountants to avoid taxes.

G.E. throws some poor schmuck working for the IRS a 72,000-page tax return form.

“Go ahead. Find something wrong. I dare you.”

Our Congress has neither the resources, nor the inclination to prevent corporate tax dodgers.

Indeed, many congressmen would be grateful for access. Who hires an honest accountant?

Our legislators did agree to repeal the law that prohibits its members from insider trading. A Congress that couldn’t pass a fart through cotton comes together finally to screw its citizens.

Hear the cash howling yet?

When banks go broke, they borrow money from the Fed at near zero interest.

Students don’t contribute to congressmen’s coffers, so our nation’s future will pay back loans at a six times higher rate than the Wall Street thieves who robbed us.

Even more egregious, Federal student loan rates are set to double on July 1. Senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren introduced legislation to ensure students receive the same loan rates the Fed gives big banks on Wall Street: 0.75 percent. Senate Republicans blocked the bill – so much for investing in America’s future.

The same righteous pricks who will run to the barricades to ensure not one dollar trickles down to public education, yet insist our inequitable tax code remains the same, say that students must pay 6.8 percent.

Congress must keep the populous uninformed and uneducated. If citizens analyze what they receive for their 35 percent tax burden, the ruling class, who pay only 15 percent, will only get richer buying futures in pitchforks and torches.

Investment bankers steal $3 trillion, and not one act of jurisprudence against any of them: zero, zilch, yet, Republicans scream,

“Deregulate Wall Street.”

We’re told bankers are honorable men.

Imagine a bank robber screaming,

“We have too many cops.”

Our bankers tell us regulations hinder growth. Trust us. Prosperity will trickle down.

Trickle down economics?

In my neighborhood, we called that piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

Regulators are too fucking far between as it is.

An old adage states the best way to rob a bank is to own one, and every child knows that more money can be stolen with a pen than a gun.

Years after the largest heist in history, no one has done shit to the Wall Street shysters who robbed us in plain sight.

No investment banker has gone to jail.

No new regulations put in place.

Nothing’s changed.

Indeed, the nation watched stunned as our Congress apologized to the well-heeled felons on national T.V.

Government’s not the noose around the thieves’ neck but the stool beneath their feet.

Yet, the narcoleptics who pass for voters say nothing. Watching the NFL and American Idol has become the American equivalent of Nero’s fiddling.

As Lord Acton reminds us,  “Where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that.”

Back in the ‘60s, my Bronx buddy, Vinny, did three years for a mob boss. After his “bit,” he was rewarded with a $300,000 house, and, so he could earn, six number shops: not on Park Avenue, not on Sutton Place, but in Harlem.

Illegal numbers is a poor man’s game. Our State Governments know that.

Although lotteries are sold in bodegas and newspaper stores across the states, they’re most successful in poor neighborhoods, where the hopeless line up with $2 dreams. The State doles out welfare with one hand, and then tugs a bit back with the other  — to the tune of $50 billion a year.

Mob number shops caused less harm than today’s government sponsored lotteries.

Black markets couldn’t advertise on television or erect kiosks in grocery stores. The wise guys never took in anywhere near what state-run lotteries do.

When the mob owned Vegas, I could count cards and make a buck: no more.

Corporations made a subtle, yet substantial, blackjack rule change. No longer must the dealer stand on all 17s. Now the dealer must hit soft 17 – an ace and a six. This swings the edge back to the casinos at an astonishing five percent. Count all the cards you want. You can’t win anymore. The MIT boys changed the game.

Corporations sign the checks and pay for the bottom line. Vegas gamblers received better odds from the mob than the corporations.

The same could be said about America’s taxpayers.

CEOs are the new Dons.

Only these vampires want to drink your blood, not dip their beak.

American Airlines CEO Tom Horton wants a $20 million payout after he bankrupted the airline, cut jobs and froze pensions.

According to Forbes, McKesson’s CEO, John H. Hammergren, “earned” $131 million last year. That number rolls easily off the tongue, yet it breaks down to over $2.5 million a week.

No one “earns” that kind of money. No amount of labor justifies it.

That’s theft not compensation.

A capitalist creates wealth, a socialist distributes it, but whatever the euphemism, a thief is a thief. When the world’s top 400 people earn more than the other 4.5 billion, that’s not economic capitalism, but economic cannibalism.

Under communism, man exploits his fellow man, and under capitalism it is EXACTLY the opposite.

We need financial oversight and fast.

Gorilla advertising sells just about anything.

I’ve a Jack Russell Terrier.

Oliver eats anything: vegetables, potato chips, even canine feces.

On a long car trip, I forgot to eat breakfast.

Worse, I hadn’t fed Oliver. I decided to suck it up and buy two fast food burgers.

Despite his hunger, Oliver sniffed and twisted his head. I peeled the excess and offered the patty alone.

Still adamant, he’d rather starve.

Google the ingredients used to make this worldwide conglomerate’s ribs. It’s not even food.

Their legendary boneless pork sandwich, famously molded to resemble a rack of ribs, is both a feat of modern engineering and shrewd marketing.

A Nebraska professor, Richard Mandigo, developed the “restructured meat product.” He says it contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, mixed with salt and water.

It’s then re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

Is it any wonder America lead the world in obesity and cancer and our health care costs spiral?

Budget cuts and shrewd lobbying have defanged the FDA, and to attract our innocents, colorful sliding ponds and clowns help peddle “happy” meals.

Mothers who take children through the golden arches should be arrested for child abuse, and the infamous clown should be led away in handcuffs.

But in my America, fast food means money, and currency speaks louder than common sense.

If a citizen throws a candy wrapper on the street, he receives a fine for littering.

When big oil pollutes our air and oceans they receive kickbacks disguised as tax breaks.

Only 35 government inspectors patrol over 56,000 oil wells in the Gulf.

Like Wall Street, they’ll police themselves.

Exxon and British Petroleum run ads over our airways about their company’s clean energy and clean environment policies.  If the once proud fourth estate exposes the gangsters, they’ll lose their advertising.

Big money’s din deafens the media as well.

Our government spends millions to keep marijuana users incarcerated.

Cigarettes kill. Alcohol kills. Pills kill. How about a war against a worthy adversary? Who has ever died from pot?

Big Pharm donated twice as much as big oil to political parties last year. They don’t want marijauna legal.

Go to an A.A. meeting in any American suburban town. I guarantee there are more attendees under 25 than over.

Most of these kids are hooked on Percocet and Oxycodone. Many graduated to a cheaper habit: heroin.

Marcia Angell, former editor-in-chief of New England Journal of Medicine, published an article damning the over-prescription of psychoactive drugs.

Since the launch of Prozac in 1987, the number of people treated for depression has tripled. Ten percent of Americans over age six are taking antidepressants.

Antipsychotic drugs like Risperdal, Zyprexa and Seroquel are replacing cholesterol-lowering agents as the top-sellers in the U.S., largely because they are being prescribed to children.

The business insider informs us that painkillers kill more Americans than heroin and cocaine combined.

Imagine a heroin dealer advertising on television? Yet pharmaceutical companies advertise freely over the public airwaves with Congress’ blessing.

When big money talks, even little children listen.

The word Privilege is derived from the Latin meaning private law.

When Wall Streeters sniff coke, law enforcers treat it fairly benignly but treat crack smokers like malignant growths that must be removed. They’re both addictive forms of cocaine, yet one’s snorted through silver straws.

When a wise guy broke the mob’s code, he had to answer for it, egalitarian punishment. Business was business. He couldn’t buy his way out. When’s the last time a rich man in America received the death penalty?

Money makes an eloquent case for innocence.

The IRS got Capone for tax evasion.

How the mighty has fallen.

If the Feds dare question the legitimacy of political write offs (501s), the corporate media attacks them.

Recently we had a candidate for the presidency that took the political hit rather than release more than his last two-years-tax returns.

According to the Wall Street Journal, an estimated $23 trillion – more than the GDP of USA and Japan combined — is hidden offshore.

When busted for tax evasion or illegal earnings, mobsters lose everything. Why can’t the Rico Act be applied to white-collar crime? It can but won’t, because our lawmakers are routinely complicit.

Deaf to corruption’s cacophony, they hear only money.

Imagine my Shy, Yak, going broke and borrowing from me at 0 percent, so he can loan my money back to me at three points.

Banks have been sticking it up our keisters since the Republic’s birth.

Mortgages pay back the interest first, which insures, like the street Shylock, little comes off the principal. And our benevolent bankers even charge points for the privilege of exploitation.

Mortgage – from the Latin – Death Grip.

How much longer will we allow corporations to abuse the system? When will the rich be punished the same as the poor?

Our athletes go to Disneyland, while 15 million children go to be bed hungry. Legislators spend more in five hours on defense than five years on healthcare.

Our Republic’s purchasers should take a tip from the wise guys. Grease the pan. The cookies are sticking. People are wising up.

Ninety three percent of recovery gains went to less than two percent of the population. First, Wall Street architects the meltdown and then benefits from the “recovery.”

The party is over, and it’s time for those who enjoyed it to pay the fiddler. Educated bandits chipped, chiseled and finally drove down the American promise.

Awake and take back your Republic.

Run these bastards out of town on a rail.

William O’Connor is a Vietnam veteran, former Bronx firefighter and pub and restaurant owner. He is a stand-up comic and a UF journalism graduate.  O’Connor has a weekly column that can be found on-line entitled, “Confessions of a New York Bookie.” He can be reached at: Oconnor.WilliamP@gmail.com

Offline Jaded Prole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
    • Partisan Press
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »
And by the way, they're also tracking your mail . . .
 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/monitoring-of-snail-mail.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&smid=tw-share&

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
And by the way, they're also tracking your mail . . .
 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/monitoring-of-snail-mail.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&smid=tw-share&

Hey, JP, nice to see you back here trolling these pages.
And, yes, your tax dollars at work!

Offline Jaded Prole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
    • Partisan Press
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
Another bit of newz, Occupy Oakland is awarded a million dollars for damages.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/03/occupy-oakland-protesters-awarded-1-million-over-police-brutality/